With the fourth contest of Balkans International Wine Competition (BIWC) just about to begin, we thought together with Galina Niforou, the managing director of the competition, to present you a very strict selection of some of the best wines that each Balkan country has to offer. This will be a superb line-up that will include some of the Grand Trophy winners of the previous years.
Greek producers and wine lovers shall appreciate that similarly to the renaissance of the Greek wines, there is a similar path and in the other Balkan countries. Like in Greece they too have their own native diamonds, their own indigenous varieties!
During the last decades, the quality of the Balkan wines has improved dramatically and there is now much discussion about less known to most people varieties like Melnik from Bulgaria, Feteasca Regala from Romania, Plavac Mali from Croatia and Kalecic Karasi from Turkey.
The special edition masterclass with wines from the Balkan countries will be held on Wednesday, April 15 at Paradiso restaurant. Among the participants two Greek wines will be also presented, a sweet and red one.
In particular the wine selection will be:
A. Bubbles, rose & whites
1. Bulgaria Edoardo Miroglio Brut Rose 2009 (Traditional method 100% Pinot Noir 24 months on the lees) - Trophy for the best sparkling in the Balkans in 2014
2. Croatia Caric winery, Bogdanjuša 2013 (the only indigenous variety from Hvar Island) Silver medal 2014
3. Slovenia Protner Joannes Riesling 2010
3. Romania Stirbey, Feteasca Regala 2013
4. Serbia Vinarija Kis, Rose 2013 - Trophy for the best rosé in the Balkans in 2014
B. Red- blind tasting
6. Turkey Chamlija winery, Papaskarasi, 2013;
7. Bulgaria Rumelia winery, Merul Mavrud 2009;
8. Skopje Chateau Kamnik, Single Vineyard Reserve 2010, Merlot - Grand trophy for the best wine in the Balkans 2013.
9. Greek Selection by Wine Commanders.
C. Dessert wine
9. Greece Winery Monemvasia Malvasia 2010 -Grand trophy for the best wine in the Balkans in 2014.
The Wine Commanders and Galina Niforou together with the chairman of the competition Konstantinos Lazarakis MW will be expecting you to guide you through the secret treasures of the Balkans!
Book your seats at:
Paradiso: Tel: (0030) 2106722290-2106748667 (cost 30 euros per person).
Doors are open from 20:30 and the Masterclass will begin at 21:00.